- The GENERIC kernel already includes the memory disk driver (md(4)) required for this operation. When building a custom kernel, make sure to include the following line in your custom configuration file:
For information on building your own kernel, please refer to Chapter 9.
- Create a swapfile (/usr/swap0):
# dd if=/dev/zero of=/usr/swap0 bs=1024k count=64
- Set proper permissions on (/usr/swap0):
# chmod 0600 /usr/swap0
- Enable the swap file in /etc/rc.conf:
swapfile="/usr/swap0" # Set to name of swapfile if aux swapfile desired.
- Reboot the machine or to enable the swap file immediately, type:
# mdconfig -a -t vnode -f /usr/swap0 -u 0 && swapon /dev/md0